Supportive Periodontal Therapy
Once Dr. Remien has initiated treatment of your periodontal disease, periodontal maintenance, or Supportive Periodontal Therapy (SPT), will enable you to stabilize the disease and increase your chances of keeping your teeth as they are. SPT will protect the foundation for good oral health which includes the gums, bone and roots of teeth. Your recall frequency will be assessed by Dr. Remien and your dentist to suit your individual periodontal needs.
What is included in a SPT visit?
- Discussion of changes to health history
- Oral examination looking for any abnormal changes
- Measuring depths of pockets
- Cleaning teeth to remove bacterial plaque and tartar
- Taking any necessary x-rays to evaluate bone levels around teeth
- Examining teeth for decay
- Applying or prescribing medications to reduce tooth sensitivity
- During your visit, Dr. Remien will review your periodontal status and make recommendations accordingly.